Subject: bug#29143: 25.3; xterm-mouse-mode issue in evil-mode

From: Rafal Lukawiecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 16:22:59 +0000

Using emacs in text terminal via iTerm I have enabled mouse
events with xterm-mouse-mode. It works well when I do not use evil-mode,
however when used with evil mode on, clicking anywhere causes the line clicked on
to be highlighted (visual mode) from the beginning to the clicked point,
however the cursor moves to the start of the line. At the same time
Messages buffer reports errors:

[ < is undefined
user-error: No previous search

I would be happy to provide more information to help debug this issue.

Thank you and regards from Ireland,
Rafal Lukawiecki

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd11.0)
 of 2017-10-20 built on 110amd64-quarterly-job-14
Configured using:
 'configure --localstatedir=/var --with-gameuser=games:games
 --disable-acl --without-canna --without-dbus --with-gnutls
 --with-modules --with-xml2 --without-cairo --without-gconf
 --without-gif --without-gsettings --without-jpeg --without-m17n-flt
 --without-imagemagick --without-libotf --without-png
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-rsvg --without-tiff --without-x
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-xft --without-xim --without-xpm
 --without-xwidgets --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man
 --disable-silent-rules --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd11.0 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 -fno-strict-aliasing' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS= -fstack-protector''

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB MODULES

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  global-evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-matchit-mode: t
  global-evil-quickscope-always-mode: t
  evil-quickscope-always-mode: t
  evil-leader-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: 1
  sublimity-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent messages:
[ < is undefined
user-error: No previous search
[ < is undefined
user-error: No previous search
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer, C-M-v to scroll help.
g q
Quit
Making completion list...
user-error: End of history; no default available
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils two-column iso-transl
face-remap debug xt-mouse evil-matchit-simple evil-matchit-sdk misearch
multi-isearch term/xterm xterm server hideshow helm-config helm-easymenu
async-bytecomp dired-async easy-mmode dired-aux dired async evil-matchit
evil-numbers evil-easymotion cl-seq cl-macs avy evil-quickscope
evil-leader evil-surround evil evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps
evil-commands flyspell ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex shell pcomplete comint regexp-opt ansi-color
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove
thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro
smooth-scrolling sublimity-scroll sublimity savehist desktop frameset
smart-tabs-mode advice whitespace solarized-theme solarized-definitions
time-date paren linum cus-start cus-load finder-inf info tool-bar
package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib disp-table mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 303553 20877)
 (symbols 48 31813 0)
 (miscs 40 688 455)
 (strings 32 60752 8378)
 (string-bytes 1 1722730)
 (vectors 16 25570)
 (vector-slots 8 567878 1701)
 (floats 8 231 276)
 (intervals 56 3982 302)
 (buffers 976 23))