Subject: bug#29106: Build loop after changing pulseaudio and emacs-ido-completing-read+

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:43:57 +0100

Hi Oleg,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Ping!
>>> Also, is the “build loop” you mentioned fixed with this patch?
>
> Sorry, I don't see any patches attached.

See <https://bugs.gnu.org/29106> (the issue we’re talking about.)  There
you submitted an emacs-ido-completing-read+ patch¹, and it isn’t clear
to me how it relates to the initial problem you reported.

¹ https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29106#8

> I still have never ending pulseaudio derivation build if I add
> ("python-pyqt" ,python-pyqt) to the inputs field.

OK, I suppose that’s because python-pyqt indirectly depends on
pulseaudio (currently Guix doesn’t try to detect cycles around
derivations, which is why you get this “never-ending” behavior.)

The usual approach to break such cycles is by having a “-minimal”
variant of one of the packages in the loop.

Would it work for you?

Thanks,
Ludo’.