Subject: [bug#29100] [PATCH 0/3] Use overlayfs instead of unionfs.

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:33:07 +0100

These patches replace the FUSE-based unionfs by the kernel-based overlayfs.
For the insallation image this reduces the size of the initrd by ca. 4.3%
(487K).

I verified this is working by successfiully running
   make check-system TESTS=installed-os.

One thing I did not change: In gnu/system/install.scm
(installation-os)[file-systems], /tmp is still mounted to tmpfs.  This was
introduced in ee03b75dfb3399f41002c38ac512473ab94afa74 for unionfs because
FUSE creates .fuse_hiddenXYZ' files for each open file, and this confuses
Guix's test suite, for instance (see <http://bugs.gnu.org/23056>).  This
should no longer be necessary when using overlayfs, since overlayfs uses a
separate workdir.  However I was not able to trigger bug 23056 while still
using unionfs, so I could not verify whether this mount is still needed with
overlayfs and I decided to keep it.

Hartmut Goebel (3):
  build: Use overlayfs instead of unionfs.
  install: Use overlayfs instead of unionfs.
  gnu: service: Update comment.

 gnu/build/linux-boot.scm    | 43 ++++++++++++---------------------------
 gnu/services/base.scm       |  2 +-
 gnu/system/install.scm      | 49 ++++++++++++++++++---------------------------
 gnu/system/linux-initrd.scm |  4 ++--
 4 files changed, 35 insertions(+), 63 deletions(-)

-- 
2.13.5