Subject: bug#29078: 25.2; font issue with FreeType 2.8; should not use the rounded ascender and descender

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:50:09 +0200

> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 18:23:33 +0100
> From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> AFAIK, from the font description (which does not involve rounding),
> there is no gap (that's why the FreeType developers suggested not
> to use the rounded values). Moreover, it does not make much sense
> to insert a gap. This looks ugly and this wastes screen space.

Emacs doesn't insert any gaps, it just computes the line metrics from
all the characters displayed on that line.

I've read the discussions of the FreeType developers, but couldn't
understand what they were talking about, as the discussion was in
terms of internals of FreeType, and I don't know enough to map that to
what the Emacs display engine does.

My point is that this seems to have nothing to do with the FreeType
library or its version, since I see the same on a system that uses
neither FreeType nor this particular font.  IOW, this looks to me
"normal", i.e. Emacs always worked like that.