Subject: bug#29078: 25.2; font issue with FreeType 2.8; should not use the rounded ascender and descender

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 17:04:41 +0100

On 2019-11-18 17:36:34 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Btw, I think it'd be nice to have a screenshot, so we'd know what this
> looks like.  I looked through the linked bug discussion, and couldn't
> find any images showing the problem, definitely not in Emacs.

I've attached screenshots I had done on 2017-10-31 (it seems that
I forgot to send them after my bug report).

This is a GNU Emacs 25 window obtained with

   emacs -Q -fn Mono-10 --geometry 80x16 box-drawing.txt

with libfreetype6 2.6.3-3.2 (emacs-263.png, what is expected) and
2.8.1-0.1 (emacs-281.png, buggy). The behavior with a GNU Emacs
27.0.50 snapshot from August 2019 and libfreetype6 2.10.1-2 seems
identical to emacs-281.png (i.e. nothing has improved).

According to fc-match, Mono-10 corresponds to

DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"

Other fonts show the same issue.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)