Subject: bug#29031: 25.3; Segmentation fault when starting emacs with my config

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 20:58:33 -0400

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I have no idea what that is. I am not a C developer. So I haven't yet
>>> found time to learn valgrind. I read the referenced DEBUG file, but
>>> it made no sense. I believe it's a steep learning curve for someone
>>> who doesn't know what valgrind is.
>>
>> Could you try just installing valgrind, reconfiguring and recompile
>> emacs with --enable-checking (reconfigure after installing valgrind, as
>> configure checks for its header file) and then running 'valgrind emacs'
>> and posting the result.  I tried this now without making any more
>> complex changes suggested in DEBUG and emacs did manage to run.  There
>> were a couple of warnings about pselect and writev, but otherwise it
>> seemed to work okay.
>>
>> It's possible something useful will come out.  If not, we can consider
>> whether it's worth trying the more complex stuff.
>
> Are you still seeing this?  If the answer is yes, it seems like more
> information is needed here to progress.  Could you please try the
> procedure suggested above by Noam Postavsky on Emacs 26.3?

It would likely be more productive to do this on a version from master,
since I believe the switch to pdumper solves some potential problems
when using valgrind.