Subject: bug#29026: closed (Re: bug#29026: ediff control window initialized as fullscreen)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:42:04 +0000

Your bug report

#29026: ediff control window initialized as fullscreen

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29026: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29026
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29026: ediff control window initialized as fullscreen
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Shuguang Sun <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:41:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 > I think the default behavior of the initialized ediff control window should
 > not be full-screened. I suggest to add '(fullscreen . nil)  to
 > ediff-control-frame-parameters as default.

I've done that now on the release branch.

Thanks for the report, martin

Subject: ediff control window initialized as fullscreen
From: Shuguang Sun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:47:48 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The initialization of ediff control window is affected by the fullscreen in
window-system-default-frame-alist.

If I put in my .emacs:
(cl-pushnew '(w32 (font . "Consolas-14")
                  (fullscreen . maximized))
            window-system-default-frame-alist)
So that for each new frame, it will try to make the frame fullscreen
including the edif control window. And when the ediff control pop-up on the
right-side of the screening from top to bottom (like fullscreen). When I
type "?", it shows the help message windon. I type "?" again, it gets back
to the control windown, and now the window is on the top-right of the
screen as a small window.

I was suggested by *Stefan Monnier:*

    (with-eval-after-load 'ediff-wind
      (push '(fullscreen . nil) ediff-control-frame-parameters))

It solves the problem.

I think the default behavior of the initialized ediff control window should
not be full-screened. I suggest to add '(fullscreen . nil)  to
ediff-control-frame-parameters as default.

Best Regards,
Shuguang Sun