Subject: bug#2901 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.92; Emacs SVG icon is of bad quality)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:30:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#2901: 23.0.92; Emacs SVG icon is of bad quality

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
2901: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2901
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.0.92; Emacs SVG icon is of bad quality
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Cc: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:26:33 -0400

I've replaced the bitmaps in emacs.svg and emacs-document.svg with
(hand-rolled) vector graphics.  The file sizes are now 14K and 12K
respectively, and the svg passes the w3c validator.

Subject: 23.0.92; Emacs SVG icon is of bad quality
From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 08:57:14 +0200

The SVG icon in etc/images/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/emacs.svg
consists entirely (except for the pen) of embedded bitmaps instead of
vectorized paths.

This is against the idea of SVG. It also leads to a ridiculously large
file size, and shows as jagged lines at larger sizes.

Revision 1.1 of the file in CVS was somewhat better (but doesn't pass
SVG validation at http://validator.w3.org/).

Ulrich