Subject: Re: bug#2901: 23.0.92; Emacs SVG icon is of bad quality

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:12:35 +0900

Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]> writes:
> The SVG icon in etc/images/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/emacs.svg
> consists entirely (except for the pen) of embedded bitmaps instead of
> vectorized paths.
>
> This is against the idea of SVG. It also leads to a ridiculously large
> file size, and shows as jagged lines at larger sizes.

You're right, having this particular icon in svg form does seem pretty
stupid... [The same is true of the other SVG emacs icon,
.../mimetypes/emacs-document.svg]

> Revision 1.1 of the file in CVS was somewhat better (but doesn't pass
> SVG validation at http://validator.w3.org/).

Yeah, the older version seems to be a true scalable SVG file; does
anyone know why it was replaced?

Loading the older (CVS 1.1) svg file into inkscape, and then saving it
(with "save-as") again, _increases_ the number of validation errors on
that website, but seems makes the file more palatable to some apps --
e.g., emacs (and gnome"eog") will load the re-saved file, but not the
original...

Perhaps the older file in "re-saved" form would be better than the
current non-scalable form?

-Miles

-- 
The automobile has not merely taken over the street, it has dissolved the
living tissue of the city.  Its appetite for space is absolutely insatiable;
moving and parked, it devours urban land, leaving the buildings as mere
islands of habitable space in a sea of dangerous and ugly traffic.
[James Marston Fitch, New York Times, 1 May 1960]