Subject: bug#29001: --disable-tmpnam

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 22:32:14 +0100

Hi Matt,

Matt Wette <[email-masked]> skribis:

> "make" and "make check" succeeds on 3.0.1 / Ubuntu 18.04 / x86_64 with
> 1) --disable-tmpnam
> 2) --enable-tmpnam
> 3) neither
>
> This updates libguile/posix.c and configure.ac to allow extra
> configuration option --disable-tmpnam.   This is made available
> for installations that don't want to allow the insecure tmpnam
> function.  (Use mkstemp! instead.)

Nice.

We should have deprecated ‘tmpnam’ before 3.0.0, it’s probably OK to do
it now.

> +AC_ARG_ENABLE(tmpnam,
> +  [  --disable-tmpnam        omit POSIX tmpnam],,
> +  enable_tmpnam=yes)

Could you use ‘AS_HELP_STRING’ as is done in some other places?  This is
the more conventional way to ensure proper formatting of ‘--help’.

Also, could you send the patch as an attachment (your mail client munged
it somehow)?  You can create the patch by first committing locally and
then running (say) ‘git format-patch HEAD^’.

Bonus points if your commit log follows the GNU ChangeLog style:

  https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

You can imitate previous entries shown by ‘git log’.

(I think this patch is acceptable without copyright assignment.  Beyond
that, we’ll need copyright assignment, as discussed on IRC.)

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.