Subject: bug#28969: 27.0.50; dired: Confirmation prompt for wildcard not surrounded by whitespace

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 22:50:12 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yup, that's what I set out to do in bug#35564.  Here is the patch
> series, condensed into a single patch for convenience.

Ok, will try it.

> Although note that you can already tell Dired that your '?' is meant to
> be substituted, by surrounding it with backquotes.  E.g. try to mark
> some files, then
>
>     ! echo 'foo`?`bar'

Maybe this is already enough.

> It's not implemented for '*' though.

Dunno if that has use cases.

BTW, in the docstring of `dired-do-shell-command',

(1) In this sentence:

| `*' and `?' when not surrounded by whitespace nor ``' have no special

can we avoid that ` gets linked to the backquote macro?

And

(2) "If you want to use `*' as a shell wildcard with whitespace around
it, write `*\"\"' in place of just `*'."

does that really mean *"" or rather "*"?

Michael.