Subject: bug#28969: 27.0.50; dired: Confirmation prompt for wildcard not surrounded by whitespace

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 18:40:54 +0200

Hello,

the docstring of `dired-do-shell-command' says:

| `*' and `?' when not surrounded by whitespace nor `\\=`' have no special
| significance for `dired-do-shell-command', and are passed through
| normally to the shell, but you must confirm first.

However, the `y-or-n-p' prompts asks:

  "Confirm--do you mean to use `*' as a wildcard? "

and

  "Confirm--do you mean to use `?' as a wildcard? "

and you must answer with 'y' to let these not be treated as wildcards -
if you answer with 'n' as the docstring suggests, the operation is
aborted.  So, with other words, I think the questions must be inverted.

A simple test case is to create a symlink 1*1 -> xedit and to try to
open some textfile with "1*1".

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.24)
 of 2017-10-19 built on drachen
Repository revision: 658853aebb0ae2ee243276e04a7672fa7525ec5c
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (buster)