Subject: bug#28959: 25.3; Tramp not honoring `tramp-backup-directory-alist'

From: "Matz, Daniel A. (JSC-EG511)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:46:33 +0000

Hello,

Tramp seems to have recently stopped honoring `tramp-backup-directory-alist’.  I have it configured to put all backup files in a single directory:

    (setq tramp-backup-directory-alist '(("." . "/Users/dmatz/.emacs.d/var/backup/“)))

But I’ve started noticing backup files being created on the remote systems, in the same directory as the file I am visiting.

I just tested this with emacs -Q as well, and got the same behavior.

Thanks!

Daniel

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1611))
of 2017-09-13 built on JSSLA17030925
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3 --without-x --with-xml2
--without-dbus --without-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-ns
--disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Decoding remote file ‘/scpx:ngc09:/home/dmatz/test_file’ using ‘base64 -d -i >%s’...done
Wrote /scpx:ngc09:/home/dmatz/test_file
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit [4 times]
Undo!
Quit [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr pp emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
thingatpt misearch multi-isearch dired-aux tramp-cmds dired tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util
help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec advice time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 220937 14198)
(symbols 48 22348 0)
(miscs 40 70 316)
(strings 32 24744 6349)
(string-bytes 1 791176)
(vectors 16 37242)
(vector-slots 8 707102 8716)
(floats 8 274 420)
(intervals 56 924 7)
(buffers 976 22))

--

Daniel Matz
EG5 - Flight Mechanics and Trajectory Design
NASA Johnson Space Center
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
(281) 244-0263