Subject: bug#28959: 25.3; Tramp not honoring `tramp-backup-directory-alist'

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:09:33 +0200

"Matz, Daniel A. (JSC-EG511)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, Michael.

Hi Daniel,

[Pls keep [email-masked] in Cc, for the archives]

> I built the emacs-26 branch and started emacs with -Q, and
> unfortunately the backup files are still being created on the remote
> system, in the same directory as the file I am visiting.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to help you debug this?

Could you pls check that your checkout is recent? It must contain

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
~/src/emacs-26> git log
commit 646e56e150ca08978d6ce736b12867b4958a0cd8 (HEAD -> emacs-26, origin/emacs-26)
Author: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date:   Thu Oct 26 16:24:28 2017 +0200

    Fix Bug#28959
    
    * lisp/net/tramp.el (tramp-handle-find-backup-file-name):
    Use `tramp-tramp-file-p' rather than `tramp-file-name-p'.  Add
    hop to backup file name.  (Bug#28959)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Furthermore, you might run

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
~/src/emacs-26> make -C test tramp-tests
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

There are several Tramp tests; the most interesting is

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   passed  43/58  tramp-test34-find-backup-file-name
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Do you see this?

> Thanks!
> Daniel

Best regards, Michael.