Subject: bug#28948: feh does encounter certificate errors with valid certificates

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 23:00:08 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> ng0 <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> feh https://i.imgur.com/263enxT.jpg
>>> feh opens image
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> user@abyayala ~/src/guix/guix$ feh https://i.imgur.com/263enxT.jpg
>>> feh WARNING: open url: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
>>> feh WARNING: https://i.imgur.com/263enxT.jpg - File does not exist
>>> feh: No loadable images specified.
>>> See 'man feh' for detailed usage information
>>
>> This is the same issue with libcurl as has been discussed many times in
>> the past.  Since it won't be fixed upstream any time soon (support for
>> CURL_CA_BUNDLE has been removed also for Windows), I suggest we "bite
>> the bullet" this time and add a hard-coded default.
>
> This would mean that individual users no longer have control over what
> certificate authorities they want to trust.

Check and mate.  I never considered this, but that makes this patch a
non-starter.

> Does anything speak against patching in support for the CURL_CA_BUNDLE
> environment variable?

No, it looks like the only option.  Should set a good precedent.  :-)