Subject: bug#28938: "114: syntax of .la files " and "UNEXPECTED PASS"

From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 03:53:43 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I think an old issue has resurfaced. I'm working on Fedora 26, x86_64.
I'm building libtool 2.4.6 from sources. `make check` shows the
following:

...
112: dlloader API                      ok
113: loadlibrary error messages        skipped (loadlibrary.at:250)
114: syntax of .la files               UNEXPECTED PASS
115: resident modules                  ok
116: SList functionality               ok

It looks like it was originally tended to back in 2011 or so
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2011-12/msg00009.html).
Another one I am seeing is:

...
169: Link option thorough search test    ok
170: Run tests with low max_cmd_len      FAILED (cmdline_wrap.at:48)

The results of the self tests end in failure:

   gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:2459: check-local] Error 1
   gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/home/Build-Scripts/libtool-2.4.6'
   gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:1897: check-am] Error 2
   gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/home/Build-Scripts/libtool-2.4.6'
   ...

Which causes my script to die prematurely because make reports a failure.

I don't know enough about libtool to say if its benign or expected. My
apologies for bringing them back up.

Jeff