Subject: bug#28937: 26.0.60; Value after elisp docstring is filled (boundaries on forward-paragraph)

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 12:55:26 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've now changed this in Emacs 28 to narrow to the string before doing
> the filling, which seems to fix this problem, and hopefully shouldn't
> have any adverse effects (*cough*).

(*cough*)

0. emacs -Q
1. (progn
     (insert "\n\n(defvar foo nil\n  \"First.\nSecond\n\nThird.\")\n")
     (end-of-line -2)
     (dotimes (_ 15)
       (insert " abcd")))
2. C-x C-e
3. M-q

Expected result: second paragraph filled, like in Emacs 27.
Actual result: second paragraph not filled.

(*cough* :)

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-05 built on tia
Repository revision: 77ec25122c9a7855657de564101c9fe763b91013
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)