Subject: bug#28902: 25.3; M-x report-emacs-bug requires smtp

From: Faré <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:10:35 -0400

M-x report-emacs-bug tries to send mail from the localhost, but these
days, due to spam issues, SMTP is not quite as available as it was say
twenty years ago. Most localhost do not have a mail server;
most ISPs do not offer SMTP and further block SMTP ports;
most servers on the internet will not relay mail without authentication;
to setup your own server requires possessing a domain and a stable
server, altering DNS records and mastering technologies
such as DKIM, DMARC, SPF, etc., that did not exist back in the days
when M-x report-emacs-bug was originally written.
To remain usable, M-x report-emacs-bug should at the very least
document how one may send the mail via some webmail instead, or
offer to configure emacs (or the underlying system) to offer
some interface that will bridge the SMTP gap somehow.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-10-05 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking
 --prefix=/nix/store/mzd9pa3gs3hi6qy73w8hqv4zlilfka18-emacs-25.3
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH:
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  mml-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/fare/*message*-20171019-114620...
Wrote /home/fare/*message*-20171019-114620
No server buffers remain to edit
Mark set
Quit [2 times]
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]
Mark activated
Quit
Mark set [3 times]
Auto-saving...done
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/home/fare/src/scheme/gambit/misc/gambit hides
/home/fare/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/gambit
/home/fare/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/git hides
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/git
/home/fare/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/git-blame hides
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/git-blame
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/nrepl-client hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/nrepl-client
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-inspector hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-inspector
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-scratch hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-scratch
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-popup hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-popup
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-debug hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-debug
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-stacktrace hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-stacktrace
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-common hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-common
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-macroexpansion
hides /nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-macroexpansion
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-classpath hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-classpath
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-interaction hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-interaction
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-autoloads hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-autoloads
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-eldoc hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-eldoc
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-test hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-test
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-repl hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-repl
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-browse-ns hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-browse-ns
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-util hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-util
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-overlays hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-overlays
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-selector hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-selector
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-mode hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-mode
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-resolve hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-resolve
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-grimoire hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-grimoire
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-compat hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-compat
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-doc hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-doc
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-apropos hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-apropos
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-client hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-client
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20160304.1552/cider-pkg hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/cider-0.15.1/cider-pkg
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/clojure-mode-20160226.956/clojure-mode-autoloads
hides /nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/clojure-mode-5.6.1/clojure-mode-autoloads
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/clojure-mode-20160226.956/clojure-mode-pkg
hides /nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/clojure-mode-5.6.1/clojure-mode-pkg
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/clojure-mode-20160226.956/clojure-mode hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/clojure-mode-5.6.1/clojure-mode
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/epl-20150517.433/epl hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/epl-0.8/epl
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/epl-20150517.433/epl-pkg hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/epl-0.8/epl-pkg
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/epl-20150517.433/epl-autoloads hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/epl-0.8/epl-autoloads
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/nix-mode-1.2.1/nix-mode
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/pkg-info-20150517.443/pkg-info-autoloads
hides /nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pkg-info-0.6/pkg-info-autoloads
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/pkg-info-20150517.443/pkg-info-pkg hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pkg-info-0.6/pkg-info-pkg
/home/fare/.emacs.d/elpa/pkg-info-20150517.443/pkg-info hides
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pkg-info-0.6/pkg-info
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
hides /nix/store/mzd9pa3gs3hi6qy73w8hqv4zlilfka18-emacs-25.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/fare/etc/emacs/abbrev hides
/nix/store/mzd9pa3gs3hi6qy73w8hqv4zlilfka18-emacs-25.3/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/abbrev
/nix/store/js6f93ihr2crmijhi7j0ql9nszdszjsz-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/seq-2.20/seq
hides /nix/store/mzd9pa3gs3hi6qy73w8hqv4zlilfka18-emacs-25.3/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(cl-indent shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils misearch multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode tex-mode shell
pcomplete latexenc rainbow-delimiters misterioso-theme term/xterm xterm
server tango-theme mic-paren gambit cmuscheme scheme slime-asdf grep
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse
slime-scratch slime derived lisp-mnt gud apropos compile etags xref
project eieio eieio-core arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp
comint ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url slime-autoloads
edit-server-htmlize html2text edit-server advice edmacro kmacro
highlight-chars use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode paren ido
cl-macs cl-seq cl finder-inf info package epg-config seq seq-25 byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 348628 36450)
 (symbols 48 35353 0)
 (miscs 40 338 534)
 (strings 32 77966 11779)
 (string-bytes 1 2212583)
 (vectors 16 35646)
 (vector-slots 8 1508639 201260)
 (floats 8 348 736)
 (intervals 56 2033 141)
 (buffers 976 27))

--
—♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics• http://fare.tunes.org
To converse at the distance of the Indes by means of sympathetic contrivances
may be as natural to future times as to us is a literary correspondence.
  — Joseph Glanvill, 1661