Subject: bug#28888: 26.0.90; nt/INSTALL.W64

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:35:48 -0400

Francis Wright <[email-masked]> writes:

> I noticed the following errors in the 64-bit Windows build instructions
> in the file nt/INSTALL.W64 when using a new MSYS2 installation.

There is some ongoing discussion on this in Bug#28601.

> The library liblcms2 is not currently available using pacman, which
> causes the pacman command shown to fail, but it works if that library is
> removed. It might be best to recommend trying to install liblcms2
> separately, in the hope that it will become available in the future.

Actually, the package was just renamed to mingw-w64-x86_64-lcms2.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?users=emacs;bug=28601#77

> There is no file mingw64_shell.bat in the \msys64 folder. However, there
> is an item labelled "MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit" in the Windows Start menu,
> which seems to work correctly. Also, msys2_shell.bat is actually
> msys2_shell.cmd.

Can you check what that item links to?  I guess it should be
C:\msys64\mingw64.exe (which is also one of the updates discussed in
Bug#28601).

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?users=emacs;bug=28601#29

> Apart from the above issues the build went well and the resulting
> version of Emacs seems to have worked correctly so far.

Did you change the Windows PATH?  The instructions currently suggest
this, but it seems no longer needed for Emacs 26, and it causes some
extra complication with Msys find vs builtin Windows find.exe.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28601;filename=INSTALL.W64.diff;att=1;msg=65
(near the bottom)