Subject: bug#28882: [bug-gnu-emacs] emacs-26.0.90 build feedback

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:19:05 +0200

"Nelson H. F. Beebe" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I now have more than 230 build attempts for emacs-26.0.90 in our
> growing test lab with about 180 flavors of Unix(-like) operating
> systems.

Cool!  Is it possible to see the status of these builds anywhere?

> This reply addresses the issue of Alpine Linux.  This morning, I read
> the section in etc/PROBLEMS on address space layout randomization
> (ASLR), and on our Alpine systems, tried the trick (as root) of
>
> 	echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
>
> before doing a build with 
>
> 	env CONFIG_SITE= ./configure  --prefix=$L --with-pop && make all check

I think that newer Emacs versions should build with address
randomisation just fine, so this should no longer be necessary.

The other concrete issue in this bug report was that you have to say
./configure --with-gnutls=no (or ifavailable, these days), otherwise
Emacs will refuse to build (if you have no gnutls libraries).  I think
that's a the correct choice, and leads to a whole lot fewer bug reports
about packages etc not working.

So I'm closing this bug report; if there's anything more to be done
here, please respond to the debbugs mail address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no