Subject: sed guide mistake

From: Nick Chambers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:52:06 -0500

Hello! In the GNU guide for SED:
https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html#Introduction, I see
the following:

sed -i 's/hello/world' file.txt

However on my ubuntu machine I get the following:

nchambers@dev-server:~$ sed --version
sed (GNU sed) 4.4
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Jay Fenlason, Tom Lord, Ken Pizzini,
and Paolo Bonzini.
GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
E-mail bug reports to: <[email-masked]>.
nchambers@dev-server:~$ cat file.txt
hello world
this is a message
good day!
nchambers@dev-server:~$ sed -i 's/hello/world' file.txt
sed: -e expression #1, char 13: unterminated `s' command
nchambers@dev-server:~$

it works fine if I do

sed -i 's/hello/world/' file.txt

Thanks all!