Subject: Suggestions for simple.el

From: "Arni Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:32:03 -0000 (GMT)

Dear Emacs maintainers,

I would like to suggest adding a few functions to the simple.el library. I
do this with hesitation - since I know the idea is to keep it simple and
let users write extensions to suit their preferences - but I believe a
large number of Emacs users would appreciate having access to these
functions out of the box.

I just finished teaching an Emacs workshop, where I ended up distributing
these functions to my colleagues, but I found it hard to explain whey
they're not already in simple.el.

Please see the attached file suggestions-simple.el. Instead of giving
detailed reasons for including each function, I have only briefly
commented on which functionality I'm extending, or which gap I'm bridging.

I have used these functions a lot, but I am sure the Emacs maintainers can
see ways to improve them in terms of robustness, speed, function names,
documentation, etc. I would be happy to discuss any further details with
you.

All the best,

Arni Magnusson