Subject: Re: bug#2887: Suggestions for simple.el

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 23:59:59 +0200

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> It's often useful to get rid of extra vertical spacing in source
>>> code, output files, etc., sometimes undoing after enjoying the
>>> squeezed view. Without this command, it would take a lot of
>>> keystrokes to delete all blank lines while retaining the cursor
>>> buffer position.
>>
>> I've never needed such a command, so again, I'll let other people
>> judge if it is sufficiently generally useful to find its way in Emacs.
>
> It's often a good way to get an overview of code that is vertically
> stretched. I remove all comments (one keystroke) and all blank lines
> (another keystroke), absorb the information and undo. I also use it on
> certain program input files where blank lines would be problematic.

I can see the idea, but I would suggest a minor mode that hide
comments and blank lines instead.

That would allow editing the file with comments and blank line hidden.

> M-down           downcase-word-or-region
> M-up             upcase-word-or-region

Key bindings is a scarce resource. Those two bindings are already used
by windmove.el for moving between windows (and that is something that
perhaps should be on by default).