Subject: [bug#28841] [PATCH 02/24] gnu: Add java-tomcat.

From: julien lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:45:28 +0200

Le 2017-10-18 22:42, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
> Hi again,
> 
>> * gnu/packages/java.scm (java-tomcat): New variable.
>> ---
> 
> […]
> 
>> +    (inputs
>> +     `(("java-eclipse-jdt-core" ,java-eclipse-jdt-core)))
> 
> Actually … I’m *very* surprised that this is the only input here.  I
> remember trying to package this early on, but failing because there 
> were
> so many unpackaged dependencies.
> 
> Are you sure this is the only required input here?  Do the sources come
> with bundled jars?

I've added this to a phase:

(for-each delete-file (find-files "." ".*.jar$"))

and it still builds correctly, so i'm fairly confident that's the only 
required dependency. The tests though have a lot of dependencies that 
are fetched by the build script, but it's disabled in the "properties" 
phase (I should use a different phase though, because it has nothing to 
do with properties).

Now I have no idea how tomcat is supposed to work. I only need it 
because it has a more recent version of the servlet api that is required 
at least by jetty, and that part at least is correct. Maybe some of the 
dependencies are actually run-time dependencies? At first I wanted to 
create only a java-tomcat-servlet-api package, but I can't use the 
upstream build.xml for that.

I will apply all your suggestions of course.

Thank you for the review!