Subject: 26.0.60; compilation mode -vs- messages from make

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:34:10 -0600

I'm using an Emacs built from the emacs 26 branch.
I have GNU make 4.2.1.

When I compile, if I get an error, make also prints this, e.g.:

make: *** [Makefile:1928: breakpoint.o] Error 1

In the *compilation* buffer, the "*** [Makefile:" text is highlighted
red.

When I next-error, Emacs will ask me:

Find this error in (default *** [Makefile): ~/gdb/build/gdb

However, this sort of error is basically never interesting, as it's not
a bug in the Makefile; it is just make reporting which rule
failed... but I already know which rule failed from the earlier
messages.

I think it would be an improvement if compilation mode ignored these
messages.

Tom

In GNU Emacs 26.0.60 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-10-07 built on bapiya
Repository revision: 0fa353b50476329531307905f23ed2b172a6e9fc
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)

Recent messages:
Mark set
Hunk already applied
Mark saved where search started
Auto-saving...done
Mark saved where search started
Quit [2 times]
Undo!
Quit
Compilation exited abnormally with code 2
C-x C-g is undefined [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install --with-modules
 --with-file-notification=inotify'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
MODULES LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++/*l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: tromey-c++-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/26.0.60/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cc-awk mode-local completion erc-replace delsel rect
cl-print debug cus-edit gdb-shell novice log-edit make-mode org-bullets
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-element avl-tree
generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs jka-compr flow-fill gnus-html url-queue
help-fns radix-tree url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
supercite regi nnir shr-color shr svg xml dom browse-url goto-addr
find-file pulse etags xref project find-dired mail-hist ffap copyright
perl-mode vc-mtn vc-hg conf-mode tabify man dabbrev term/xterm xterm
bug-reference map cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds smerge-mode
log-view pcvs-util vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs add-log
vc-git diff-mode rust-mode misc mailalias sort smiley gnus-cite
mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg mail-extr gnus-ml disp-table misearch
multi-isearch gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 network-stream nsm
starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry ebdb-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
smtpmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7
netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
elec-pair flyspell ispell diminish projectile ibuf-macs grep compile
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dash appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
which-func imenu tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell parse-time minimap autorevert filenotify cus-start
cus-load status erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit
erc-hl-nicks easy-mmode color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat thingatpt pp warnings advice
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs ebdb-complete ebdb-message sendmail message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
ebdb-mua ebdb-com derived edmacro kmacro crm mailabbrev ebdb-format qp
ebdb cl-extra help-mode eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
find-func eieio-base pcase subr-x cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist finder-inf
dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads
pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info cl weblogger-autoloads package
easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2859854 724203)
 (symbols 48 72765 42)
 (miscs 40 15010 20638)
 (strings 32 604282 49570)
 (string-bytes 1 17915908)
 (vectors 16 275320)
 (vector-slots 8 4337697 211185)
 (floats 8 557 1313)
 (intervals 56 320275 7598)
 (buffers 992 314))

Tom