Subject: incorrect NEWS entry about vc-state faces

From: [email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 20:28:44 +0200

In the 26.0.90 NEWS file we have:

*** The VC state indicator in the mode line now defaults to more
colorful faces to make it more obvious to the user what the state is.
See the 'vc-faces' customization group.

which was added in these commits:

* | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 65fa442..: Lars Ingebrigtsen 2016-03-01 Add a NEWS entry for the colorful VC indicator
  commit 65fa442f2bae42d3f9b06264ca432073ee3197c3
  Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Tue Mar 1 14:31:35 2016 +1100

  Add a NEWS entry for the colorful VC indicator

* | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 2621c29..: Lars Ingebrigtsen 2016-03-01 Use colors in the VC mode lines
  commit 2621c293d82c15c00d9e73a8db75d70da7d0a23b
  Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Tue Mar 1 14:25:27 2016 +1100

  Use colors in the VC mode lines

  * lisp/vc/vc-hooks.el: Make the mode line faces default to
  using colors to more clearly tell the user what the status is.

The NEWS entry commit seems to have made it to Emacs 26, but the mode
line faces are still the same as in Emacs 25.  Looks like commit
2621c29 got lost somehow.

Also, not sure why this group is defined (in vc-hooks.el):

(defgroup vc-state-faces nil
  "Faces used in the mode line by the VC state indicator."
  :group 'vc-faces
  :group 'mode-line
  :version "25.1")

then never used.  It looks like the vc-state-*/vc-*-state faces are
meant to inherit from it, but it's not clear.  It also makes the
customization buffers confusing.