Subject: bug#28814: [BUMP, PATCH] (26.0.90; When *xref* window is needed, original window-switching intent is lost )

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:41:31 +0300

> From: [email-masked] (João Távora)
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 00:59:28 +0100
> 
> - In node "Looking up identifiers" there are is a repeated explanation
> of what motivates a *xref* buffer (lines 1831 and 1863). I think its
> clearer if this only happens once, so I merged the two.

People who use the manual as a reference seldom read the entire node.
Instead, they read the description of the single subject they were
looking for, and move on.  If the reader was only interested in
reading about "M-.", with your version she will not see the
description of the XREF buffer, unless she reads on.

So I don't think the repetition here is a bad idea, especially since
it doesn't really repeat the same text.

> - Finally, I changed "To go back to places @emph{from where} you found
> the definition" to "Once you are at the definition, you may want to go
> back to places @{from where}". This is indeed purely stylistic, but I
> thought it was a less abrupt transition from the preceding paragraph
> that talks about going to definitions. The change looks larger than it
> really is because of the paragraph filling, but I did only change the
> first sentence.

When the original style is clear and unambiguous, I usually avoid
changing it, because style preferences are personal.

The additions for the new and changed bindings are, of course, okay,
that wasn't what prompted my comment.

Please show the final patch with the above comments fixed, and I think
it's okay to put this on emacs-26 after all.

Thanks.