Subject: 26.0.90; Document after-make-frame-functions, focus-in-hook in Startup Summary node

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 21:30:51 +0000

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hello Eli,

I had a long conversation with you in May 2016[1] about understanding the
best place/hook for graphics related setup (like fonts) in emacs config,
when running emacsclient.

As I later learned in that conversation, neither after-init-hook nor
emacs-startup-hook were the right place for that.
after-make-frame-functions was also not good unless the frame is selected
(which is not the case in emacsclient/daemon). So focus-in-hook turned out
to be the best place were I can check if a certain font was available etc.

I have read through (elisp) Startup Summary, but it does not reference
after-make-frame-functions and its caveat with emacsclient. It also does
not reference focus-in-hook.

I believe having that information in that section will be very valuable to
other users using emacsclient in GUI frame.

Copying Rob on this as he had a similar question he asked me off the list.

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-05/msg00148.html

In GNU Emacs 26.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2017-10-12
Repository revision: 413978727c9fb1d26b64e81412434064d99ec568
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)

-- 

Kaushal Modi