Subject: Re: bug#28797: 26.0.90; Improve printing of error on catching file-error in dired

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:28:11 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> >> condition-case-unless-debug for #2.
>> >
>> > This is quite a radical change in very old behavior, so if it is
>> > deemed a good idea, it should go to master.
>> 
>> Hmm, it doesn't seem that radical to me, but I don't have a problem
>> putting it only to master, or even not doing that at all and just saying
>> the user should use debug-on-signal.
>
> It's radical because we never produce backtrace in similar cases
> anywhere else in Emacs.

I'm not sure which cases you consider "similar".

> Let's wait to hear what others think about this part.

Not seeing any opinions, so here is a fact: due to bug#11218, changing
this breaks dired-test-bug27940 [1].  Fixing #11218 would involve some
major changes to ert internals.

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27940#65