Subject: [bug#28794] [PATCH] gnu: games: Add openrct2.

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:16:10 -0200

I don't know which type of "data" is missing in OpenRCT2, but if one
wants to be specific to non-functional data, something along the lines
of:

"Can't find 'OpenRCT2 non-functional data. Please provide one. It's
recommended to be at least shareable."

Or for general "data" either one of:

- "Can't find 'OpenRCT2 data. Please provide one. It's recommended to be
  free/libre (as in freedom, not price)." Free/libre culture activists
  will love this one. ;)

- "Can't find 'OpenRCT2 functional data. Please provide one. It's
  recommended to be free/libre (as in freedom, not price).

  Can't find 'OpenRCT2 non-functional data. Please provide one. It's
  recommended to be at least shareable." Two messages here. The logic
  here is to split the types of data.

I wish I could have time to make the patch right now, but I have my
bachelor graduation paper/work to do right now.

Off-topic: the work is about the importance of free/libre software
*philosophy* to university management and teaching-learning
process. Work is being done at [1], if you want to contribute see [2].

[1] <https://notabug.org/adfeno/Trabalho_sobre_gestao_universitaria>.

[2] Copyright will have to be assigned to me, but I will at least give
detailed mention of the contributions in the "thanks"/greetings
part/page of the work.

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi Adonay,
>
> Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> One of the bigger problems I find with such projects that aim to provide
>> an "engine" for running such games is that there doesn't seem to have an
>> effort to make the other "data" replacement. Most projects start only
>> with engine replacements and don't have a taskforce to provide
>> free/libre "data" replacement.
>
> Clearly the raison d’être of a project like this one is to provide a
> free replacement of the software.  So we cannot blame people behind it
> for not doing enough, even though I share your concern.
>
> As for artwork, Rutger mentioned that people behind OpenRCT2 are willing
> to provide free artwork eventually.  I can imagine that this is more
> “difficult” in that it’s a completely different job.
>
>> Now, it's true that if it's free/libre software, it might be possible to
>> add it to some free/libre distro. But the challenge is that these
>> projects seem to do little effort to not recommend non-free functional
>> data or non-shareable non-functional data. Such that even the software
>> itself directly tells something along the lines of "this is used to run
>> Some Non Free Game", instead of using a message like "please specify a
>> [insert data pack standard abbreviation here] file", so perhaps it must
>> be patched to remove the first messages?
>
> Sure.  Do you have any specific message in mind?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>

-- 
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
  instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
  Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
  GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
  (apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.