Subject: bug#28792: 26.0.60; Deleting to a custom trash directory in Dired gives error

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:50:26 +0300

Quite recently I've opened and retreated the similar bug#28791, trying
to trash directories recursively.  I did not use a custom
trash-directory, but I got the same error.  Turns out that it was
delete-by-moving-to-trash that provoked the error (with an indentical
message to yours).  Emptying the ~/.local/share/Trash/ folder solved the
issue for me.  I observed that in ~/.local/share/Trash/info/ some
.trashinfo files were created with the name of the directory (say
<dirname>) I was trying to delete, one <dirname>.trashinfo and many
<dirname><random bits>.trashinfo.  I've tried to understand
sth. inspecting the recent changes to rename-file in src/fileio.c using
vc-annotate, and some recent commits like a1cea94c0b seem relevant,
altho my C knowledge is very basic, and even more so of the Emacs style
and C codebase.  I've experienced this on master since about a couple
weeks, since my second-last build thereof, but my third-last build was
quite some time ago.

-- 
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC
			40EB 465C D949 B101 2427