Subject: bug#28772: guix system reconfigure after kernel panic user or group not created

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:37:39 +0200

Hello,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> During 'guix system reconfigure' I got a kernel panic.

Can you show the exact command and its output?

A user-land program is not supposed to be able to cause a kernel panic;
if it does, that’s a kernel bug.

But perhaps you got the kernel panic *after* rebooting in the
reconfigured system?  That could well be a GuixSD bug, indeed.

> After reboot I tried another attempt to make a 'guix system
> reconfigure', but because of /etc/group.lock and /etc/passwd.lock
> operating-system groups and users fields didn't applied.
>
> I tried to get a creation of adbusers group and add my user to it, but
> because of those files I cannot do it, until manually removed them.
>
> So, do we need to check if *.lock files are exist and remove them at the
> start of 'guix system reconfigure' OR abort reconfigure and creation of
> Grub boot entry OR something else?

I’m not sure I understand what happened.  Could you copy/paste commands
and outputs, or transcribe what happened?

TIA,
Ludo’.