Subject: bug#28727: closed (Re: bug#28727: Profiles with intentionally out of date packages are upgraded to the newest version)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 16:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28727: Profiles with intentionally out of date packages are upgraded to the newest version

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28727: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28727
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28727: Profiles with intentionally out of date packages are upgraded to the newest version
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Ben Woodcroft <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 18:47:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> There’s this possibility:
>
>   guix package -u . -r python -i python@2
>
> I admit it’s a bit contrived though.
>
> There are several ways to address it:
>
>   1. Rename our Python 2.x package “python2”.

That was done long ago, so I’m closing this bug.

Ludo’.

Subject: Profiles with intentionally out of date packages are upgraded to the newest version
From: Ben Woodcroft <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:14:38 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I have a profile with python@2 in it, and running 'guix package -u' 
updates it to python@3, which isn't what I want. I cannot run 'guix 
package -i python@2 -u' because then it tries to install both python@2 
and python@3, which conflicts.

I can workaround this using 'guix package -u; guix package -i python@2'. 
That isn't ideal (wasteful downloading of substitute, extra entries in 
the generations list, etc), but is workable for me, making this a low 
priority bug for me.

Ideally, I would expect that because I specified python@2 first, guix 
should not try to install python@3. However, this difficult because IIUC 
the packages which were specified to be included are not stored 
anywhere, and I suppose it would entail changes to the manifest format 
also. So, how to handle this?

Thanks, ben