Subject: bug#28724: 25.3; height of echo area when displaying tooltip

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 10:09:02 +0200

> If I have disabled tooltip-mode, is there a way to tell Emacs that it
 > should expand the height of the echo area (where tooltips are
 > displayed) if the tooltip is longer than the screen is wide? Currently
 > the words just run off and I can't see them.

This should have been fixed for Emacs 26.  Please try the release
version.

 > Additionally, I believe the info manual and docstring for
 > `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' may need updating. In section 21.18
 > Tooltips, it says "If Emacs is built with GTK+ support..." and goes on
 > to state that users can change `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' to
 > nil.

This means that Emacs will from now on try to display native (non-GTK)
tooltips instead.

 > However, I was under the impression that the recommended way to
 > do this was to call (tooltips-mode -1).

The recommended way to turn off tooltips is

(tooltip-mode -1)

without the "s", indeed.

martin