Subject: bug#28724: 25.3; height of echo area when displaying tooltip

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 13:03:43 -0500

Hello,

If I have disabled tooltip-mode, is there a way to tell Emacs that it should expand the height of the echo area (where tooltips are displayed) if the tooltip is longer than the screen is wide? Currently the words just run off and I can't see them.

Additionally, I believe the info manual and docstring for `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' may need updating. In section 21.18 Tooltips, it says "If Emacs is built with GTK+ support..." and goes on to state that users can change `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' to nil. However, I was under the impression that the recommended way to do this was to call (tooltips-mode -1).

Thanks,
Alex

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.19)
 of 2017-09-16 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix