Subject: bug#28706: closed (Re: [bug#28706] [PATCH 3/3] guix system: Error out when passed a wrong file system UUID/label.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 10:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28706: [PATCH 0/3] Detect wrong UUIDs/labels in 'guix system init/reconfigure'

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28706: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28706
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#28706] [PATCH 3/3] guix system: Error out when passed a wrong file system UUID/label.
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 12:12:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> LGTM!

Thanks for checking.  Pushed as
9d80d0e95c9eab042ddd8250ad9a231ed0c458dc.

Note that the <file-system> change breaks the ABI, so “make clean-go”
is needed!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Detect wrong UUIDs/labels in 'guix system init/reconfigure'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:48:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

At the GHM we were discussing that a common mistake when installing
GuixSD is to specify a wrong file system UUID or label in the config.
You would run the whole install to completion, reboot into the new
system, just to find that it fails to boot because you passed the wrong
UUID or label.  And then you have to reinstall again.  Roel’s report at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-09/msg00068.html> is
another instance of that (though Roel could easily roll back in that
case.)

With this patch such mistakes are detected early on, upon ‘guix system
init’ or ‘guix system reconfigure’:

  configuration.scm:32:23: error: file system with UUID 'c78e0703-373f-4c4d-9652-5633f072eae6' not found
  configuration.scm:42:23: error: file system with UUID '1234-ABCD' not found

The behavior is to stop altogether when such a problem is found.  I
wondered whether it should be a warning instead, on the grounds that it
could be annoying if the mistake-prevention logic wrongfully raised an
error for some reason.  However, I figured that a warning would be much
less efficient (people wouldn’t notice), and I think
‘check-file-system-availability’ avoids the obvious pitfalls by
filtering out irrelevant file systems.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (3):
  uuid: Add 'uuid=?' and use it.
  file-systems: Add a 'location' field to <file-system>.
  guix system: Error out when passed a wrong file system UUID/label.

 gnu/build/file-systems.scm  |  4 +--
 gnu/system/file-systems.scm |  6 ++++-
 gnu/system/uuid.scm         | 13 +++++++++
 guix/scripts/system.scm     | 65 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 tests/uuid.scm              |  6 +++++
 5 files changed, 91 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

-- 
2.14.2