Subject: bug#28705: closed (Re: bug#28705: 25.3; [PATCH] Change prefered coding system for Japanese language environment)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 00:21:03 +0000

Your bug report

#28705: 25.3; [PATCH] Change prefered coding system for Japanese language environment

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28705: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28705
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28705: 25.3; [PATCH] Change prefered coding system for Japanese language environment
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Yasuhiro KIMURA <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 16:20:31 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since nobody commented on it and we have a bug report about this, I 
installed the patch into the master branch and am closing the bug 
report. Thanks again for reporting it, and sorry about the delay.

Subject: 25.3; [PATCH] Change prefered coding system for Japanese language environment
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 20:02:54 +0900 (JST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In current implementation, 'japanese-iso-8bit' is used as prefered
coding system when you select 'Japanese' as language environment on
Unix system. But nowaday a lot of Japanese Unix users adopt
'ja_JP.UTF-8' as locale setting. So I propose to change prefered
coding system from 'japanese-iso-8bit' to 'utf-8'. And while I'm on
it, comment is fixed to fit current implementation.
>From 2c80312989659375f82d7eefd333e5ac77663f4b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Yasuhiro KIMURA <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 19:09:21 +0900
Subject: [PATCH] Change prefered coding system for Japanese language
 environment.

* lisp/language/japan-util.el (setup-japanese-environment-internal):
  Use utf-8 as prefered coding system instead of japanese-iso-8bit
  when system is not windows. And while I'm at it, fix comment to fit
  current implementation.
---
 lisp/language/japan-util.el | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/language/japan-util.el b/lisp/language/japan-util.el
index 988b925409..fb4b408cd3 100644
--- a/lisp/language/japan-util.el
+++ b/lisp/language/japan-util.el
@@ -29,11 +29,11 @@
 
 ;;;###autoload
 (defun setup-japanese-environment-internal ()
-  ;; By default, we use 'japanese-iso-8bit for file names.  But, the
+  ;; By default, we use 'iso-2022-jp for default coding system.  But, the
   ;; following prefer-coding-system will override it.
   (if (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos cygwin))
       (prefer-coding-system 'japanese-shift-jis)
-    (prefer-coding-system 'japanese-iso-8bit))
+    (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8))
   (use-cjk-char-width-table 'ja_JP))
 
 (defconst japanese-kana-table
-- 
2.14.2