Subject: 25.2; Cannot kill Eshell buffer

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 05:57:20 -0400

Hi,

        I cannot kill an Eshell buffer.

        When I attekpt to kill it either by `(kill-buffer)`
        "C-x k" or `(save-buffers-kill-terminal)` "C-x C-c"
        I get the error:

              run-hooks: Text is read-only

        `kill-buffer-hook` is:
        
kill-buffer-hook is a variable defined in ‘files.el’.
Its value is (t eshell-kill-buffer-function)
Local in buffer *eshell*; global value is 
(tramp-delete-temp-file-function uniquify-kill-buffer-function vc-kill-buffer-hook)

         Thank.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-17.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Buffer Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
250 2.1.0 Ok
250 2.1.5 Ok
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
Sending email 
Sending email done
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 1A2883800008D
221 2.0.0 Bye
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(misearch multi-isearch rect mailalias smtpmail face-remap shadow
emacsbug sendmail shr-color color shr dom subr-x browse-url debug
nnagent nnml pp gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr qp
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nndoc mm-archive jka-compr timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars
json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 256618 98808)
 (symbols 48 63384 57)
 (miscs 40 296 557)
 (strings 32 92176 94506)
 (string-bytes 1 2792305)
 (vectors 16 29987)
 (vector-slots 8 1097868 133031)
 (floats 8 588 1436)
 (intervals 56 6441 153)
 (buffers 976 88)
 (heap 1024 71182 572023))