Subject: Re: bug#28700: 25.2; Cannot kill Eshell buffer

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 19:48:53 -0400

Live System User <[email-masked]> writes:

>   It's built by Fedora (RedHat).  I have debugging info but I belive
>   the emacs binary might be stripped, if that matters.

Hmm, you will need gdb, emacs debug info and probably the emacs sources
as well.

This link explains how to get the debug info:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces#What_are_debuginfo_rpms.2C_and_how_do_I_get_them.3F

I'm not sure how to get sources under Redhat based distros.

Also get .gdbinit from
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/.gdbinit?h=heads/emacs-25.3

>   I dont know how to reproduce this with or without 'emacs -Q' but
>   it has happened to me periodically so I decided to finally
>   report it
>
>   I'll leave the sessuon around as long as I can.

After you have installed the debugging symbols and gdb, attach gdb to
the running Emacs by running

    gdb -p xxxx

Where xxxx is Emacs' pid (a number).  Find that out by running 'pgrep -a
emacs'.  Then at the (gdb) prompt, type

    source .gdbinit
    break text_read_only
    continue

Then try to kill the buffer.  Hopefully the breakpoint will be hit and
emacs becomes frozen.  At the (gdb) prompt, type

    bt