Subject: Re: [bug#28660] [PATCH] gnu: python-numpy: Give sh store location instead of setting $SHELL.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 07:30:48 +0100

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 14:44:04 +0200 (CEST)
Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Guix,
> 
> I slightly botched the last numpy update: setting $SHELL works, but 
> then we have to set $SHELL for every package which uses numpy's 
> distutils.  I don't know how many packages there are, but it includes 
> scipy and python-hdf (and therefore those builds are currently broken 
> on master...).
> 
> The attached patch should fix the issue for all packages, by setting 
> the default shell to the “/bin/sh” of the build environment's bash 
> package (i.e. bash-minimal).

Could bash be specified as an input, and that used instead? This would
mean that the behaviour of the package is more isolated from the
environment.

For example, on non GuixSD systems, /bin/sh could be something other
than bash. But, if the numpy package depends on some bash in the store,
and uses that, then it would be isolated from this.

What do you think?