Subject: bug#28659: bug#39575: guix time-machine fails when a tarball was modified in-place

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:34:13 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> The problem here is really that we fall back to content-addressed
>> mirrors instead of using them directly:
>>
>>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/28659
>
> Wait, what happened here; you finally proposed a patch two years ago and
> nothing happened/we all forgot to follow up?

I think we forgot, indeed.

One thing I don’t quite like about the patch is the fact that ‘guix
substitutes’ connects to the daemon in ‘content-addressed-item?’.

Also, one could argue that we’d steer users towards downloading from our
server, which could be a privacy concern (probably not a strong argument
since one can easily change the substitute URLs.)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.