Subject: bug#28659: v0.13: guix pull fails; libgit2-0.26.0 and 0.25.1 content hashes fail

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 16:57:38 +0200

Hi!

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I contacted GitHub about this issue a few weeks ago and they said that:
>
> 1) They do not guarantee bit-reproducibility of the snapshots they
> generate automatically for each release tag, and they wish that people
> would not rely on them as we do. However, since people *are* relying on
> them, they are discussing this issue internally.

Oh?!  Then we’re in trouble.

Perhaps we should start using ‘git-fetch’ more, with Software Heritage
as a fallback content-addressed mirror?  Though again the difficulty is
that SWH uses Git’s method to hash directory contents, so we’d end up
having to provide both a Nix hash and a Git hash in ‘origin’.  :-/

> In the meantime, we can add this to the list of reasons that
> reproducibility is difficult in the long term.

Heh.

Ludo’.