Subject: bug#28655: 25.2; Problem with find-file-noselect

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 14:42:14 -0400

Hi,

        I experienced a problem with `find-file-noselect`.

        The partion where my /home directory is mounted became
        unrelatedly readonly.

        When I tried to visit a file, readonly "C-x C-r"
        `(find-file-read-only),` I got the following
        *Backtrace* (see below).

`       Executing `(find-file-noselect)` and `(file-truemame)`
        interactively yeilds the expected reults:

                M-: (find-file-noselect "~/dt.el" nil nil t)
                #<buffer dt.el>

                [I don't get the "(wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)"
                error as in the *Backtrace]

                M-: (file-truename "~/dt.el")
                "/home/liveuser/dt.el"

        I realize that this is an unusal circumstance but peraps
        there is some way that Emacs could be able to visit a file
        in readonly-mode when the underlying filesystem has become
        readonly.

        Thanks.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  file-truename(nil)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer dt.el<2>> "~/dt.el" nil nil "~/dt.el" (6637 64770))
  find-file-noselect("~/dt.el" nil nil t)
  find-file("~/dt.el" t)
  find-file--read-only(find-file "~/dt.el" t)
  find-file-read-only("~/dt.el" t)
  funcall-interactively(find-file-read-only "~/dt.el" t)
  call-interactively(find-file-read-only nil nil)
  command-execute(find-file-read-only)

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-17.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
C-h C-g is undefined
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87122 4895)
 (symbols 48 19809 0)
 (miscs 40 46 121)
 (strings 32 14396 3615)
 (string-bytes 1 411943)
 (vectors 16 12387)
 (vector-slots 8 435119 4250)
 (floats 8 168 181)
 (intervals 56 257 0)
 (buffers 976 17)
 (heap 1024 23593 1100))