Subject: bug#28651: 24.5; 24.5.1 Ubuntu 16.04 fails to download package archives

From: Joshua Kordani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 13:17:31 -0400

`emacs -Q`

M-x package-refresh-archives

results in

Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.

Same behavior if melpa is added, either by hand in .emacs or through
customize-group

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50slime.el (source)...
Error while loading 50slime: Cannot open load file: no such file or
directory, /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/slime-autoloads.el
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
fancy-startup-tail: Opening directory: permission denied,
/home/standard/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.
Contacting host: melpa.org:443
Failed to download `melpa' archive.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail gnutls mm-archive message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls
url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars epg epg-config package time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97600 5253)
 (symbols 48 24191 0)
 (miscs 40 81 168)
 (strings 32 25133 33984)
 (string-bytes 1 600812)
 (vectors 16 12217)
 (vector-slots 8 415174 5698)
 (floats 8 73 399)
 (intervals 56 269 7)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 36041 8660))