Subject: bug#28651: closed (Re: bug#28651: Please close)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#28651: 24.5; 24.5.1 Ubuntu 16.04 fails to download package archives

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
28651: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28651
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#28651: Please close
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Joshua Kordani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 11:06:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Joshua Kordani <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:59:15 -0400
> 
> root was the owner of the .emacs.d/elpa in the user's home directory, necessary for package.el to do its
> work. Purging this folder fixed the issue. Feel free to close the issue.

Done, thanks.

Subject: 24.5; 24.5.1 Ubuntu 16.04 fails to download package archives
From: Joshua Kordani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 13:17:31 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`emacs -Q`

M-x package-refresh-archives

results in

Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.

Same behavior if melpa is added, either by hand in .emacs or through
customize-group

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50slime.el (source)...
Error while loading 50slime: Cannot open load file: no such file or
directory, /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/slime-autoloads.el
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
fancy-startup-tail: Opening directory: permission denied,
/home/standard/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.
Contacting host: melpa.org:443
Failed to download `melpa' archive.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail gnutls mm-archive message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls
url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars epg epg-config package time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97600 5253)
 (symbols 48 24191 0)
 (miscs 40 81 168)
 (strings 32 25133 33984)
 (string-bytes 1 600812)
 (vectors 16 12217)
 (vector-slots 8 415174 5698)
 (floats 8 73 399)
 (intervals 56 269 7)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 36041 8660))