Subject: bug#28645: Status: 26.0.50; semantic-ia-fast-jump jumps to a random place in buffer

From: Bastian Beischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:40:58 +0200

Hey,

Thanks for the fix in semantic-ia-fast-jump Dmitry and Martin. However,
I think there are more places which need to be fixed in CEDET. A quick
search for switch-to-buffer shows these in lisp/cedet:

$ grep -n -e 'switch-to-buffer' lisp/cedet
./semantic/decorate/include.el:470:     (switch-to-buffer (get-file-buffer file)))
./semantic/imenu.el:180:                  (switch-to-buffer ob))
./semantic/debug.el:156:      (switch-to-buffer (oref iface data-buffer))
./semantic/debug.el:160:  (switch-to-buffer (oref iface parser-buffer))
./semantic/debug.el:166:  (switch-to-buffer (oref iface source-buffer))
./semantic/debug.el:453:      (switch-to-buffer buf))
./semantic/debug.el:467:      (switch-to-buffer buf))
./semantic/bovine/c.el:980:     (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*MODE HACK TEST*"))
./semantic/bovine/c.el:992:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window
./semantic/complete.el:1533:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buf t)
./semantic/complete.el:2123:      (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/symref/list.el:182:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buff)
./semantic/symref/list.el:314:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buff)
./semantic/symref/list.el:328:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buff)
./semantic/symref/list.el:344:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buff)
./semantic/symref/list.el:420:    (switch-to-buffer-other-window (semantic-tag-buffer tag))
./semantic/symref/list.el:440:              (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/sb.el:320:    (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/analyze/refs.el:351:    (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/mru-bookmark.el:116:    (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/texi.el:630:;;       (switch-to-buffer docbuff))
./semantic/texi.el:675:   (switch-to-buffer (semantic-tag-buffer (car tags)))
./semantic/senator.el:533:      (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./semantic/senator.el:537:      (switch-to-buffer result)
./semantic/senator.el:741:                              (switch-to-buffer (semantic-tag-buffer v))
./semantic.el:1081: `global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode'   - Provide `switch-to-buffer'-like
./srecode/getset.el:263:    (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
./ede/custom.el:103:    (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*EDE sort targets*"))
./ede/shell.el:44:      (switch-to-buffer-other-window buff t))

I was able to reproduce the bug in "semantic-complete-jump" and
"semantic-analyze-proto-impl-toggle", for example.

I would also be grateful for a little bit of background information. At
which point did it become necessary to use 'pop-to-buffer' instead of
'switch-to-buffer'? Apparently 'semantic-ia-fast-jump' et al worked fine
in older emacs versions.

When is it ok to use 'switch-to-buffer'? There are numerous occurences
of it throughout emacs...

Thanks
Bastian