Subject: bug#2864: running emacsclient uninstalled

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 08:15:54 +0100

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are a few problems with emacsclient in CVS, first one is that
> one cannot run emacsclient from the build directory, you can do this
> with emacs just fine.  But emacsclien gets confused as to where things
> are, and you must do a `make install' to be able to use emacsclient
> properly.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

This has been fixed in the decade since this was reported.

> The second one is that the handling of -a/--alternative-editor is
> problematic,
>
> $ emacs/lib-src/emacsclient -a -c
> emacs/lib-src/emacsclient: file name or argument required
> Try `emacs/lib-src/emacsclient --help' for more information
>
> According to the docstring, the argument to -a is optional, but one
> must supply a empty string explicitly for things to work as
> advertised.

The -a argument is not optional now, at least.

So it looks like both things in this bug report are fixed, and I'm
therefore closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no