Subject: Re: bug#28618: Emacs Security Issue

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 22:23:37 -0400

retitle 28618 Emacs respects $HOME, even when user is root
tags 28618 + wontfix
quit

Dor Azouri <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for checking this problem.
> I am convinced by the comments that this is not a pure Emacs issue,
> though a step can still be taken to help users protect from this
> abuse.
>
> For example, Notepad++ on Windows does not load user plugins (located
> in AppData) when run as Administrator - unless an Administrator
> explicitly puts a specific file in the protected installation
> directory ("allowAppDataPlugins.xml").

It could be different for Windows, but for GNU/Linux I think the
previous messages already explained why this doesn't actually protect
anything.  The user can still get the behaviour they like by setting the
appropriate sudo option.  I don't see why Emacs should override that.