Subject: Re: bug#28609: simple.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 11:12:51 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Finally, a nit: "Point position" is inherently ambiguous, so it's
> > better to use "Position of point" to disambiguate.  I made that change
> > in a followup commit.
> 
> Apologies for not reading the thread.  Going only by what is written
> here, which might not be fair/appropriate, "position of point" is
> also ill-advised.  "Point" is the buffer position of the cursor
> (text-insertion position).  "Position of point" would then mean
> "position of position of the cursor".

"Point" is Emacs terminology (and its definition in Glossary is not
"position of the cursor").  Since it's a widely-used term, I see no
need to replace "point" with its definition to judge that sentence's
grammar or style.  We use "position of point" in our manuals, and I
see no problem with that usage.