Subject: Re: bug#28607: 27.0.50; help-fns unsolicited elisp loading

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 13:49:34 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +@node Autoload by Prefix
>> +@subsection Autoload by Prefix
>
> I think a "@cindex autoload by prefix" would be good here.

Sure.

>> +During completion for the commands @code{describe-variable} and
>> +@code{describe-function}, Emacs will try to load files which may
>> +contain definitions matching the prefix being completed.  The variable
>> +@code{definition-prefixes} holds a hashtable which maps a prefix to
>> +the corresponding list of files to load for it.  Entries to this
>> +mapping are added by calls to @code{register-definition-prefixes}
>> +which are generated by @code{update-file-autoloads}.  Files which
>> +don't contain any definitions worth loading (test files, for
>> +examples), should set @code{autoload-compute-prefixes} to @code{nil}
>> +as a file-local variable.
>
> I would add a cross-reference to where update-file-autoloads is
> described after it's mentioned.

Um, how should I do this?  I tried (I've also added
@anchor{update-file-autoloads} below @findex update-file-autoloads):

    the corresponding list of files to load for it.  Entries to this
    mapping are added by calls to @code{register-definition-prefixes}
    which are generated automatically (@pxref{update-file-autoloads,
    @code{update-file-autoloads}}).  Files which don't contain any

But it looks rather strange, it adds an extra period.

    corresponding list of files to load for it.  Entries to this mapping
    are added by calls to `register-definition-prefixes' which are
    generated automatically (*note `update-file-autoloads'
    .).  Files which don't contain any definitions